Tuesday, 30 June 2015

June Challenge - Nailed It!

Copyright ©2015 Mark Kelly.
Last session this evening went very well. In fact, this whole experience has taught me one thing: even though I am much older now and carry injuries, the benefits have been quite amazing.

My posture is better, my level of flexibility has improved, my body fat level has reduced considerably, my muscle strength has improved, as has muscle endurance. Cardio not significantly as there was no true cardio (running, cycling, etc) involved. But still my heart rate has come down to a respectable level for my 'age group', and intense exercise does not leave my body feeling like a plank of wood for the following several days.

Overall, I would rate this 'challenge' as a huge success. My body weight has dropped by around 8lbs, but take into account the amount of muscle I have gained, this is a decent, and acceptable, drop. Mentally, it had its moments where that little voice would plead with me to 'rest and have a night off', especially when getting home from work way past 8:30 of an evening. But I managed to push through that particular barrier.

Week three was starting to drain on my energy resources, and the final week was a bit of an up hill struggle. I would say it was possibly my version of a marathon runner's 'wall'. I think my nutrition played a massive factor in getting through it; keeping a higher than normal protein intake, balanced with carbs and good fats, plus fresh fruits and vegetables. Sugars I kept to a minimum and avoided wherever possible. Hydration was also top of my list. That is massively important, no matter what you are doing.

I will say, however, such an endeavour is not for everyone as we are all different, and before taking up any form of strenuous exercise, get checked out first by your doctor and then seek professional advice as to how to go about it.

I did, and do, miss not being able to run. But maybe there's my next challenge? Now for a whole day of rest, then a return to my normal once-a-day, five-days-a-week training schedule.

2 comments:

  1. Moving forward for the better, it will make the bigger success in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Jeremy. So very true. Hope you're having a good start to your summer? Good to see you back here :)

      Delete