Tuesday 27 March 2012

Simply Noise - A Recommendation

- WHITE NOISE? HOW ABOUT PINK OR BROWN NOISE INSTEAD?-

Recently, and by that I mean, over the past several months, I've used a site entitled 'Simply Noise' to help me relax and unwind.

Basically this site offers free selections of white, pink and brown noise to listen to in order to relax, focus, calm and help some to sleep--the latter has been known to work wonders with young babies and children with sleeping difficulties.

The beauty of this site is that it is all free and is aimed to work in conjunction with iPhones, Android phones and other similar devices.



Personally, I use the free 60 minute Soundscape: Thunderstorm, when I wish to unwind. It's downloaded on to my pc and sits on my desktop ready for whenever I want to listen to it. The only downside to this is that I invariably end up falling asleep. I find the sound of rain in a storm oddly very relaxing. 

There are three selections of noise you are able to listen to directly from the site: white noise, pink noise and brown noise.

So, if you're a struggling creative, be it writing, sketching or composing, I can highly recommend giving this a try, especially as it is free.

You can go to the 'SimplyNoise' website by clicking here. Enjoy :)

11 comments:

Justin S. Davis said...

Wow. Thank you for that link.

I'm going to have the thunderstorm in permanent rotation as I work on my night projects.

Mark K said...

Justin,

Glad you like the link. To be honest, the thunderstorm is amazing, especially over headphones. Sooo relaxing! :)

Amanda Heitler said...

Good one.

Now to work out how to find enough extension leads to get the sound to the room with the sewing machine in it.

??? said...

I highly recommend investing in a USB vibrating speaker like this one for that. You just need a table or another flat surface for the vibration, a laptop/computer or a MP3 player to connect the speaker to and you're done. The sound is really brilliant and it's a cool little toy for gaming music as well.

Thank you for the site, I'll be listening to the thunderstorm as well. The white noise might be great for my commute to drown out noisy people.

Mark K said...

@ Amanda - I don't know why I didn't share sooner? I love that thunderstorm :)

@ Jedediah - What a fantastic idea! All I have to do now is wait and save up my pocket money to get one. Did you give all three noises a listening? For me the brown noise is best out of the three, with pink being almost as bearable, but the white noise is just a bit too much. Strange though, how people react differently to each sound, and not all liking the same thing?

Nikki said...

Haha ''graphic designer''. I'm the kind of graphic designer who uses scissors, quite a lot of glue, a scanner (with three books on top to keep it flat, of course) and microsoft paint :D Such a pro.

That's so cozy! I use a site online to listen to rain sounds, it sounds lovely if you play music over the top of it :)

Mark K said...

Actually, Nikki, what you describe is still graphic design in one of its many guises. Actually, I used to take great pleasure in that aspect of g/design, but now I don't do any of it at all, which is terrible seeing as I have a degree in g/design *sigh*

Nikki said...

Ohh, I didn't know that. I thought you had to do smart things with computers. Then I'm semi proud of myself :D cool that you have a degree in it! How come you don't do any now?

Mark K said...

I did for a little time, but became so disillusioned with the industry that I gave it up and retrained as a Sports Massage Therapist and Personal Trainer/Fitness Instructor, which I've been doing for over 6 years now.

But I still dabble, as the banner to my blog is my creation, as was the 'Versatile Blogger Award' badge you see here, too.

If you go to this blog: http://fyloh.blogspot.co.uk/ you will find work of mine of an arty-farty nature. It's mainly old stuff going back about 10 years, although the poem is very recent. Enjoy :)

Lydia Kang said...

I've never heard of pink and brown noise. Going to check that out, thanks!

??? said...

I'm with you on the brown noise, that's the most pleasant one by far.

The USB speaker is one of my favourite possessions and I can't get over the fact that the tinny sound it produces by itself becomes a huge rich sound when placed on a table. I saw it first at my weekly gaming group and whenever a new player arrived, they went through the same ritual: What is that? *picks it up* *puts it down* gleeful smile