Sunday 11 July 2021

July Challenge ~ Day 11.

Copyright ©.2021 Concrete Playground.

Sunday used to be considered 'a day of rest'. Back when I was a kid, Sunday's were quiet affairs. Shops would be closed, corner shops (God, how I miss those!) had limited opening hours, and people went to church, or not, and stayed home. Kids would sometimes play out in the street but did so fairly quietly for fear of getting a ticking off from the neighbours, or worse, their parents.

If you walked around your local area it would be fairly deserted. Family's settled down to the traditional Sunday dinner, prepared and cooked by the mother - usually a Sunday roast, with roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, cabbage, peas, carrots, sometimes parsnips, Yorkshire pudding and roast beef, or chicken, and gravy. All followed by dessert. Then (for my family) father would do the dishes.

Come the evening, kids and teens would settle down and listen to the radio and the UK Top Forty. Often a cassette tape recorder would be used to record the top forty so it could be listened to in the bedroom or, if your car was modern enough, play it in the car's cassette deck when driving around. Recording the Top Forty was a skill, as you would have to be quick on the pause button in order to cut off the DJ's chatter, then un-pause to continue recording. After which, you had a near seamless, continuous play list of singles to listen to.

But for me, today was no 'day of rest', but a continuation of the challenge. I have to admit, I feel as if my energy had be drained out of me today, more so than yesterday. The session got completed regardless.
And yes, there was a 'Hell Set'.

This session focused on legs... urgh! Plus, I re-jigged a set I often use for warm up, and performing it wasn't fun at all.
The warm up set was:

10 x Sumo Squat with Dumbbells
10 x Spiderman Push ups 
10 x Mountain Climbers

All the above three exercises are treated as ONE SET, performed without rest between each exercise, and performed FIVE times. I tend to have 60 seconds rest between sets, but when on form, I will run through these without rest, as fast as possible, whilst maintaining good form.

The 'Hell Set' for today was a super set:

3 x 20 Goblet Squats
3 x 20 Squats with Dumbbell Shoulder Press.

It hurts. Your mind will be screaming at you to give in. Push through, you'll be glad you did.

Due to my low energy levels, today's session lasted 75 minutes. My longest session yet. I normally aim for 50 minutes maximum, but the warm up messed with me, and the 'Hell Set' slowed me right down.

If you decide to give them a go, I wish you the very best.

I leave you with a great tune by the talented, if somewhat eccentric, Jamiroquai, and the great 'Virtual Insanity' - I'm always mesmerised by this video, such a clever concept.

Enjoy, until the next time.




No comments: