Thursday 1 July 2021

Start the Pain ~ July 1st - July 31st.

 I've been lazy. I've been King of Procrastination. I've been in denial. And lately, I've been part-time.

What am I referring to? Exercise. I used to refer to it as 'training', but that implies there is a specific purpose and goal at the end of a given period, such as a competitive activity. For me, those days are long gone, so I now refer to it purely as 'exercise'.

So why the title? Going back, way back, to when I was 17 years old, and recently quit competitive swimming (you know, the six-days-a-week gig, sometimes twice-a-day schedule, with championships and swimming competitions and galas) all because I was in love for the first time. Then said girlfriend flew off to the US shortly after for a month, to spend summer with her mother. 
What to do? Being used to the regime of waking, training, school, training, eating, sleep, repeat, I did what came naturally - I trained every day, twice-a-day, running and weights (and burned out by the next month).

Fast forward to 2015. Having qualified ten years prior as a Sports Massage Therapist, Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor, for some bizarre reason I decide, 'Let's test myself and everything I've learned.'

My body, as you can appreciate, is a different thing now. I'd had numerous surgeries on various joints, ironically, due to a life of physical training, but I was up for a challenge. So, for the month of June, 2015, I would exercise twice-a-day, every day - I posted about it, which you'll find if you look back at the year of 2015.

The images below are of day 1 in June 2015 and day 30, just to give you an idea of the progression from day 1 to the final day. That last day was a hoot, out in the garden, jumping about like God-knows-what. I would also make a note the duration each session would take to complete, and on that last day, just to jazz it up a bit, the evening session was done in reverse order from that of the morning.


Copyright ©. 2021 Mark Kelly. All Rights Reserved.
(Feel free to use the above sessions.)

Was it physically hard? Not really, which surprised me. Was it mentally hard? Very, which didn't surprise me. Oddly, at the mid-point of June, I would derive a palpable euphoria in completing both sessions on each day. I had a wobble toward the end of the third week, and that was me hitting my 'wall', both mentally and physically. But I pressed on and made it out the other side. One aspect I did find challenging was coming up with a different routine for each new day.

Originally, I had planned to make July the challenge month, and for some reason, on June 1st, I thought, 'Bugger it - let's start it now!'.

And here we are, July 1st, 2021. So I'm going to attempt it once again, but  this time with a couple of variations:

1) Working a different job with varied shift patterns.

2) Possessing a body, that if were a car, would qualify for the scrappage scheme.

My reason for posting this is primarily to ensure I do it. There's no backing out of it now. Plus, I'm going to try and eat 'clean' throughout. Especially cutting out refined sugar, which, to be honest, is a toxin to the human body, and it also prematurely ages the skin - and also because I'm a bit of a sugar junkie, if I'm being totally honest here. 

I leave you with 'Sweet Harmony', by The Beloved. Such a great tune. Enjoy.

Until the next time.




No comments: